The Thrashers beat the Ducks 8-4 on Sunday night, beating the tar out of a team that had won its previous two games.
Ilya Kovalchuk scored a hat trick in the game, his first since last March against Calgary, and Rich Peverley, Bryan Little, Niclas Havelid, Colin Stuart, and Colby Armstrong also added goals. Kari Lehtonen got 31 saves in the winning effort.
It also marked the first time since December 5th, 2003 that the Thrashers defeated the Ducks in Anaheim.
Kovalchuk has been playing better in his previous games, and the newfound enthusiasm he has produced hasn't been lost on his coach.
"I think he has really been skating well the last three or four games," Atlanta coach John Anderson said. "He is starting to feel like himself again. He's hounding the puck, he's chasing the puck. He gets it -- he's dangerous, obviously."
The game was the first one of a treachorous road trip for the Thrashers, with stops forthcoming in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Jose.
The next game will start at 10:30 EST on Monday night against the Kings. It can be seen on SportsSouth.
- Recap? You're Talkin About a Recap?
- As Deadline Draws Near, the Thrashers May Move Sig...
- Thrashers Top Avalanche 4-3 In Riotous Return to P...
- Thrashers Today: A Preview of Avs-Thrashers, and S...
- Thrashers Lose to Sharks 3-1 in Duel in Tank
- Thrashers-Sharks Preview Highlights
- What Made News This Week: A Recap of the Week in T...
- Thrashers-Coyotes Recap: Atlanta Loses Duel in the...
- Thrashers-Coyotes: A Game Bigger Than It Seems
- Thrashers Depose Kings 7-6 in Wild Game
- Thrashers Dump Ducks 8-4
- ▼ February (11)